encoder on the server

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:26 PM
Hi,

isnt it a bad practice to install a client tool like media encoder on the server.
is there any way to avoid this.

I assume that not all hosting providers have this installed on the machine ?

tnx

koen
Jan 4, 2008 at 6:22 PM
The current version of Video.Show requires encoding on the web server. User uploads a video, that raw video is stored on the web server, a background thread is spun to handel the encoding and upload to Silverlight Streaming, while the user gets a response that their video was received and they should check back in a few minutes.

The current version was done this way to enable the shortest path to a functional video sharing portal. As we enhance the product, other options to off-load the video processing to a backend services and backend server, will be an option. For instance, there might be a setting "BackendVideoProcessing" and if this was set to true, the raw user video would simply get stored on upload and later, a backend service would pick up the video and process it, relieving the web server of the dependency for the encoding software and the CPU intensive process of encoding videos. There are other benifits to this approach, like retries when errors occur! This is a much more robust way to go, just requires more configuration and setup.

Koen, how are you using Video.Show? I would be interested to know how you are using Video.Show. Reference? Starter-Kit? Other?

Thanks for your feedback!
--mm
Jan 6, 2008 at 6:22 PM
Hi mm,

thanks for the response.
I understand the reason why the encoder must be installed on the server, but it does not seem the best approach. I'm looking forward to the rtm of the product.

I have a site running on the TheBeerHouse starterkit and would like to integrate the video.show into it, so visitors can upload video's to the site.
Since i already have an aspnetdb running, i would like to use that one.

best regards

koen
Jan 9, 2008 at 2:39 PM

mmoser wrote:
-snip-
I would be interested to know how you are using Video.Show. Reference? Starter-Kit? Other?

Thanks for your feedback!
--mm

Hi:

I am contemplating converting elements of Video.Show into a module for DotNetNuke (and selling it very inexpensively on Snowcovered.com).

My main reservation like Koen's is that encoder must be installed on the server. I am wondering if there is a runtime redistributable version of encoder that could be installed on servers that does require the expensive price tag? I am only intending on selling my module for between $50-80.00, a source code version for about 100 more, which is significantly less than the Expression Encoder product...

Kenneth
http://aciasoftware.com
Jul 25, 2008 at 3:04 PM
Quick clarification question:
If the hosting provider does not have encoder on their server, then what should i point the following URL to?

<add key="MediaEncoderPath" value ="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Encoder 1.0\"/>   

As you can see this line in the web config file points to my local server at this point.

thank you for the help