Silverlight Error 4001 AG_E_NETWORK_ERROR

Dec 26, 2007 at 6:47 PM
Edited Dec 26, 2007 at 6:48 PM
When I mouse over any of the thumbnails on your sample web site (http://aftereight.vertigo.com/), I get the following error popup:

Silverlight Error:
Error Type: MediaError
Error Message: AG_E_NETWORK_ERROR
Error Code: 4001

My system is Win 2003 Server, IE7, Silverlight 1.1 Alpha runtime.

Does anyone else get the same error?

Thanks.
Dec 28, 2007 at 4:41 PM
In my development environment, it works perfectly. However, I published it in a production environment and I'm getting the same error like you. I think it is caused by the Microsoft Streaming services, and not by the alpha runtime version of the silverlight plugin.

Are you getting the error in development or in a live server?
Dec 28, 2007 at 5:09 PM
It seems like my problem was due to our company's firewall blocking media content. I was able to browse the web site just fine from my home PC (Windows Vista, IE7, Silverlight 1.1 Alpha). I was also able to upload the website to a production server and that works as well.

Hope that helps...
Dec 28, 2007 at 7:56 PM
I checked my firewal entries, and everything looks fine with me. Can you tell me what port do I need to have open?

Thanks.

basile wrote:
It seems like my problem was due to our company's firewall blocking media content. I was able to browse the web site just fine from my home PC (Windows Vista, IE7, Silverlight 1.1 Alpha). I was also able to upload the website to a production server and that works as well.

Hope that helps...

Dec 28, 2007 at 9:02 PM
Not sure how our company's firewall is configured to block the media content, but I'm unable to browse the site from work.
I use www.ultimahosts.net shared hosting plan for my production web site and no configuration was necessary to make it work there (although I had to disable video encoding since the host server doesn't have Expression Encoder installed, I simply encode the files on my local machine and then upload to the web site)

I guess that didn't really answer your question, but that's as much as I know so far :(
Dec 28, 2007 at 9:11 PM
I will search about the port, since I have a dedicated server and a cisco firewal. Thanks anyway.

basile wrote:
Not sure how our company's firewall is configured to block the media content, but I'm unable to browse the site from work.
I use www.ultimahosts.net shared hosting plan for my production web site and no configuration was necessary to make it work there (although I had to disable video encoding since the host server doesn't have Expression Encoder installed, I simply encode the files on my local machine and then upload to the web site)

I guess that didn't really answer your question, but that's as much as I know so far :(

Dec 29, 2007 at 7:27 PM
Edited Dec 29, 2007 at 7:29 PM
Also, seems like Silverlight Streaming doesn't like blank spaces in the file names. I uploaded two video files that contained spaces, and got the same error for both of those. Then I replaced spaces with underscores, uploaded the same video files again, and it works fine now!
Dec 31, 2007 at 3:30 PM
Interesting! Thanks for the input! Keep up the good work!

basile wrote:
Also, seems like Silverlight Streaming doesn't like blank spaces in the file names. I uploaded two video files that contained spaces, and got the same error for both of those. Then I replaced spaces with underscores, uploaded the same video files again, and it works fine now!

Jan 9, 2008 at 2:43 PM
Another question would be: is there a way to enable a friendlier error message or simply disable the ugly popup one that is currently being displayed? There are similar issues with the Slide.Show project which displays nasty error messages when the progress indicator bombs out (like 10 identical errors all in a row) when the best handling of an exception at that point in my opinion is simply not to display it.
Jan 13, 2008 at 10:27 PM
Yep, spaces in the filename breaks things. Make this code change to fix it:

/Upload.aspx.cs L42:

string filename = System.IO.Path.GetFileName(fileUpload.PostedFile.FileName);
filename = filename.Replace(" ", "-");
Jan 28, 2008 at 7:08 PM
Thanks for the research, this bug will be fixed in the 1.0 RTW.
Feb 2, 2008 at 11:47 AM
Hi - I have created a simple slideshow which works fine on localhost/... ... but gives the same error message as you have been discussing when I upload to my ISP's web-server. There are no spaces in any of the file names and I have limited the site to one slide and two thumbnails so that none of the images are used twice.

Does anyone have any ideas.
Feb 3, 2008 at 9:35 AM
Hi,

I stumbled upon this post in the Silverlight blogs last week. It might help you out:

http://silverlight.net/blogs/jesseliberty/archive/2008/01/31/download-error-code-4001.aspx

Bottomline: it's not your fault :-)
(at least, it appears so).

best wishes,
Peter Kassenaar.
Feb 24, 2008 at 10:30 PM
I have same error: if I start debugging from VS, it's work fine. After I publish the web site on wwwroot (on same machine) I have this issue and also I could not log in with any account already created (without any error, just it does'nt log me in, but the accounts are still there, I can see it on members page).