running on a server not localhost

Mar 31, 2008 at 11:02 PM
i have tried and tried to get this thing running on a different server with no luck. when i build and run in VS 2008 locally, it runs like a champ. when i move it to another server, i keep getting the error:
"An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file D:\shares\websites\dpetv\Web\App_Data\VideoShow.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share."

i made the path changes to every place i can think of (Data/Model/VideoShow.dbml, web.config in Web, app.config in VideoProcessingService) and have given Network Service the correct permissions to no avail. the Installation guide is not that helpful in exactly what changes need ot be made. anyone have any ideas?
Apr 1, 2008 at 3:07 AM
Edited Apr 1, 2008 at 3:12 AM
An MS Live Search for "An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file" suggests that this type of error is commonly encountered among developers using MDF databases locally when switching between users and between machines. There are many threads in many fora, and most link back to MSDN where there are threads that make reference to this error and possible resolution.

Without further specific information and without the expertise needed to help you personally, I would suggest that you start with the following thread at MSDN. Several scenarios involving this error are resolved by persistence on the part of a few knowledgeable moderators. Perhaps you can find a solution in the discussion.

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showpost.aspx?postid=98346&siteid=1&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=4

If you are still stuck you can refine search criteria based on what you find relevant to your situation and continue to query MSDN and Live Search.
Apr 1, 2008 at 8:02 PM
thanks for the reply. i thought this discussion might have been dead. i finally got the db working and i am not sure what eventually fixed it, but it might have been an btfs permission issue. still not sure.

now i am just bummed that it turns out that video.show does not work on a virtual directory (videos do show after upload, avatar images broken, etc.). i am guessing there must be hard-coded places for the web root which stinks.

it would be great if someone could document all the changes that need to be made to make this work off a virtual root.
Apr 1, 2008 at 9:59 PM
>>>i am guessing there must be hard-coded places for the web root which stinks<<<
Hard coded in some places. I made all the changes but never noted all the locations.