Problems installing/making it run

Nov 23, 2007 at 9:59 AM
Hi,

Could you post some guidance on how to install this great application? I'm having a problem with it.

It is:
Error 1 Build failed due to validation errors in \VideoShow\VideoShowSource\VideoShowSource\Data\VideoShow.dbml. Open the file and resolve the issues in the Error List, then try rebuilding the project.
The error when I open VideoShow.dbml is:
Error 3 There is no Unicode byte order mark. Cannot switch to Unicode. 1 1 Data

I am opening it with Visual Studio 2008 professional.
If you could provide some guidance on what components are needed and the general steps to set it up, (don't think we need detailed ones I mean) that would be great.

Many Thanks!
Jose
Nov 25, 2007 at 2:32 PM
Edited Nov 25, 2007 at 2:35 PM
I changed the encoding to utf-8 and it got past the error.
Nov 25, 2007 at 6:16 PM
Hi. Anyone managed to get this application up and running?
Coordinator
Nov 30, 2007 at 8:30 PM
These errors are caused by building Video.Show 1.0 Beta on Visual Studio 2008 RTM. These two releases aren't compatible - the beta required VS2008 Beta 2, due to some late breaking changes in .NET Framework 3.5.

Fortunately, we've just posted Video.Show 1.0 RC, which is compatible with Visual Studio 2008 RTM (but not with Beta 2). Try that and see how you get on.

Best wishes, Tim Sneath | Group Manager, Client Platform Evangelism | Microsoft Corp.
Nov 30, 2007 at 9:33 PM
I have the VS 2008 RTM (Team System) installed, and I've just downloaded the RC, and when I try to open the solution (VideoShow.sln) I get a VS error: 'The project file 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\VideoShow\Web\Web.csproj' cannot be opened. The project type is not supported by this installation.'

Any ideas?
Dec 1, 2007 at 12:52 AM

stacy wrote:
I have the VS 2008 RTM (Team System) installed, and I've just downloaded the RC, and when I try to open the solution (VideoShow.sln) I get a VS error: 'The project file 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\VideoShow\Web\Web.csproj' cannot be opened. The project type is not supported by this installation.'

Any ideas?

Make sure you have C# installed.
Dec 3, 2007 at 5:43 PM

stacy wrote:

Any ideas?

Hi Stacy,
You probably installed the silverlight tools for visual studio 2008 Beta 2. That happened to me too for rushing in too fast :P Anyway I had to uninstall the tools, visual studio 2008, reinstall it and install the right tools (already available).

Best,
Jose
Dec 3, 2007 at 5:45 PM

timsneath wrote:
These errors are caused by building Video.Show 1.0 Beta on Visual Studio 2008 RTM. These two releases aren't compatible - the beta required VS2008 Beta 2, due to some late breaking changes in .NET Framework 3.5.

Fortunately, we've just posted Video.Show 1.0 RC, which is compatible with Visual Studio 2008 RTM (but not with Beta 2). Try that and see how you get on.

Best wishes, Tim Sneath | Group Manager, Client Platform Evangelism | Microsoft Corp.

Hi Tim,

Thanks so much for your response. I will try to deploy and test it and let you know what steps were needed or what problems did I get, if any.
Thanks for sharing and for this cool resource!

Jose
Dec 3, 2007 at 9:23 PM
Ok, here is what I am running, and getting the aforementioned error about not being not being able to open the project file:

VS 2008 RTM (Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM)
Microsoft Visual C# 2008 91899-153-0000007-60412
Microsoft Silverlight Projects 2007 91899-153-0000007-60412)
(Please note that I installed the download of the Silverlight Tools from here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=25144C27-6514-4AD4-8BCB-E2E051416E03&displaylang=en
and it states that it is an add-on for 2008 RTM)

I can open other C# projects (as long as they were created in the RTM) from solution files. I can create Silverlight applications and run them just fine. I still cannot open the VideoShow solution file.

I did previously have the beta 2 (and associated items) installed, but I followed the instructions to remove all of those BEFORE installing the RTM and everything else again.

Is anyone else having this same problem?

thanks,
-stacy

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:09 AM
Edited Dec 4, 2007 at 12:10 AM
There are a couple of edits to make to the videoshow.dbml file before you can successfully build and deploy the application. Edit the file outside of VS Application. Once you do this, you will be able to open the application in VS and Build it.

Here are the changes I made:

<Database Name="C:\{change this to you full path}\Source\Web\App_DataVIDEOSHOW.MDF" EntityNamespace="VideoShow.Data" ContextNamespace="VideoShow.Data" Class="VideoShowDataContext" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/linqtosql/dbml/2007">
<Connection Mode="AppSettings" ConnectionString="Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=C:\ {change this to you full path}\Source\Web\App_Data\VideoShow.mdf;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True" SettingsObjectName="VideoShow.Data.Properties.Settings" SettingsPropertyName="VideoShowConnectionString1" Provider="System.Data.SqlClient" />

Oh, BTW – you must also fix the connection string in you web.config , if you deploy the application to a web server.

Regards, Mike Pendergraft (AKA – Groovy Santa)
Dec 4, 2007 at 7:53 PM
What if the database is located on a separate dedicated sql server?
Dec 4, 2007 at 10:38 PM
Hosting the DB on a separate SQL server is not an issue. You just need to be sure you have the correction connection string for the DB and server and that the correct trust relationships have been established between the servers.

-Mike